Light Style© by Fisana

Wolfie's Whine's uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

Photo
- - - - -

Birdwatchers Flock To Cannock Chase After Reports Of Two Great Grey Shrikes

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 NiftyWolfie

NiftyWolfie

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 12:08 pm

BIRDWATCHERS are flocking to Cannock Chase after reports of two great grey shrikes being seen in the area.
Nick Pomiankowski, who records Staffordshire sightings for West Midlands Bird Club, said: "One was found at Upper Longdon near Startley Lane on November 17, 2011, and has remained in a clearfell area - it was still there yesterday.

"The other was found near the Cadet Huts/Shooting Butts on Cannock Chase on October 20, 2011, and was last reported on January 6 but could well still be present."
He explained why there has been such interest in the presence of the songbirds: "These birds regularly winter in the UK in small numbers and Cannock Chase usually attracts one each year. Having two, though, is an uncommon event."
The great grey shrike, which is the size of a large thrush and eats small animals such as mice and frogs, is found all over Europe from Scandinavia to Spain, but does not breed or spend the summer months in the UK. This picture of the bird was posted on Twitter by tourism website Enjoy Staffordshire.

Article Link

Don't think I've seen one of these local at all, would be nice to see one though.

Attached Files

#2 EllieSword

EllieSword

WorkPerson

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 09:58 am

No doubt I will get shouted down but its not dissimilar to a grey wagtail from the picture on my screen

#3 NiftyWolfie

NiftyWolfie

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 11:01 am

I would say a wagtail is longer and thinner then the one shown here

#4 PsychoSteph

PsychoSteph

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 04:41 pm

it looks like a bird to me
Hold on a minute..... let me get a translator .......I don't speak IDIOT!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users